Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wonderful World Of The Polonia Brothers

ha thanks for checking out CK, for a super cheaply made movie that does use some old footage, I thought it was one of Mark's best recent efforts

Last night I watched Hellspawn. Or at least I tried to. I was kind of drunk but more problematic than that was the audio - it was probably the worst I've ever heard, even by typically lousy SOV standards, so I only caught about 15-20% of what was actually being said. Still, the movie opens with a pretty great birth scene in which the woman I'm 99% certain is Mark Polonia's wife gives birth to the titular Hellspawn. She dies, so does the doctor and the priest who just happens to be hanging around. Then the best heads into the woods where it terrorizes things. Two dudes go house sitting in the area and wind up getting involved in all of this, while the Polonia Brothers drink beer in a bar that looks suspiciously like someone's living room.

These are the dudes...

Name:  vlcsnap-2015-09-20-10h39m31s94.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  13.8 KB

...this is the monster...

Name:  vlcsnap-2015-09-20-10h44m02s222.jpg
Size:  11.5 KB

...and this is the living room bar complete with moustachioued Polonia's.

Name:  vlcsnap-2015-09-20-10h39m13s149.jpg
Size:  12.1 KB

If someone were to reissue this with audio that was at least partially audible I'd probably re-buy it.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I'll ask Mark about it next we talk

That would be awesome. Maybe nothing better exists and this is all that could be done, but I refuse to accept a BCI four pack as the 'definitive word on quality' even if it is a low budget SOV movie.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Watched Dinosaur Chronicles last night.

IMDB describes the story as:

"In the first story, a lottery winner drags his two pals on a scenic cruise. A storm develops, the ship sinks, and they are the only survivors who wash ashore on a prehistoric, carnivorous dinosaur-laden island. In the second story, zombies and dinosaurs rule the post-apocalyptic Earth. Two shiftless gunman try to defeat their overlord. "

That's not inaccurate. The first story is the better of the two. It mixes in some pretty cool stop motion dinosaur footage that was clearly shot for some completely different project at a completely different time, which is kind of neat. It also has horrible volcanoes and lots of screwy dialogue delivered Polonia brothers style. The second story is fun too but it isn't quite as charming in its goofiness. Still a fun watch though.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

chances are that's the best the sound is, but maybe if we can cut a deal he'd be willing to redub it, or we could try test cleaning then boosting the audio... he usually doesn't want to redo too much on the old titles, esp with most materials gone. Plus he's in process of moving to the west coast to edit full time...

He's going west? Ah man. No more PA locations!

Watched Preylien last night - pretty fun. The one monster that had the thing that came out of its mouth - that thing was pretty phallic. So anytime the monster did that I kept thinking he was killing people with his 'mouth dick.' I realize that's childish but it's funny to see it in action.

I also appreciated the fact that the predator and the alien monsters both wore vests, and that they recycled an entire scene (the hospital) from an earlier film.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by srscinema View Post
    Plus he's in process of moving to the west coast to edit full time...
    Oh shit, does that mean the general LA area? That makes me one step closer to living out my dream of being in a Polonia Picture......

Also, gonna throw out a recommendation for HALLOWEENIGHT. The movie itself is a good one, but the story behind it makes it really interesting. In addition to being the first movie Mark did after the death of John, it's really fascinating to see how the idea of the movie itself evolved over the years. Thanks to the SRS releases of their 8mm stuff, you can see how the HalloweeNight concept seemed to be one of the first ones the Bros tried and retried as their skills developed. I know I've heard Mark mention on various commentaries how this was a project of John's which was attempted multiple times on super eight as well as video. As someone who has stumbled through multiple iterations of their own backyard camcorder epics (I swear someday I'm going to make RAMPAGE OF THE WOODSBEAST, and it's sequel, REVENGE OF THE GORE-ILLA for real) this is the kind of thing I find the most fascinating about SOV type flicks. The fact that these movies are pushed along because of passion rather than being seen as some kind of commercial stepping stone is something that speaks to me.

The fact that any and every Polonia movie is a work of passion and undeniable enthusiasm is what keeps me coming back to this stuff while staying as far as possible away from any kind of mainstream mass produced product film. It's why I love seeing that majestic Polonia basement, thrill to the unwilling Polonia family reunion that occurs when that friend of a friend who promised to be in that one scene doesn't show up, and why I love seeing that damn Hellspawn mask keep showing up in movies. You don't do things like that if it's not something you love to do...

f**king awesomely said!

I'm currently out of contact with Mark, as the email I had was at his old job, so I'm just waiting for him to get in touch with me lol, but I will ask him about both those... I'd like to release all their early stuff but I know a lot of them are tied up and apparently not coming out any time soon either...

Trailer for Mark Polonia's latest... Bigfoot Vs. Zombies!

This is available on demand through Wild Eye, no DVD yet. Hopefully soon.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!