Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grindhouse Releasing Duke Mitchell's Gone With The Pope

Was expecting Pope to be crass and exploitive, but instead I got a sterilized film with a mealy mouthed speech on a boat.

I loved it. I didn't feel that it lacked in crass at all. Not as exploitative as MMS maybe, but a very different project. And yes, it is obviously not a completely finished film but I thought it was quite well put together all things considered.

There are aspects about this one that I actually like more than MMS. That film is way more fun to be sure but this one is, for me at least, more interesting.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I like GWP a bit better. The deal breaker is the music. And crass? Are you kidding me? For me it's a great comedy. I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Brooks View Post
    Fantastic film with a killer soundtrack! If you have seen it BUY IT NOW!!!!
    The track used during the boat montage is off my most wanted library music LP. I don't know the composer(s) but the music from that album is all phenomenal and turned up in over 100 early exploitation, sexploitation and hardcore features made all the way through the early 90s, yet no one can remember the origin...
    Best film examples are:
    A Dirty Western
    Sex And The Single Vampire
    A Gay Guide To Cruising
    The Takers

I've ordered the disc John, but it hasn't arrived yet, but I'll have a listen when I get it to see if it rings any bells.

Whelp, I didn't like this one too much. I guess it was too much hype. I LOVE Massacre Mafia Style, I've seen that at least 20 times over the years. But this was kind of a struggle to get through. The pace is slow, it feels aimless, and it's just not exploitative enough. There's some nice moments but not enough of them to hold it together.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

It had its moments, but was a bit of a letdown for me. So many "Why would Duke film this scene like this?". Its no MMS, but I was glad to have seen it...I don't see many revisits happening.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lyons View Post
    The track used during the boat montage is off my most wanted library music LP. I don't know the composer(s) but the music from that album is all phenomenal and turned up in over 100 early exploitation, sexploitation and hardcore features made all the way through the early 90s, yet no one can remember the origin...
    Best film examples are:
    A Dirty Western
    Sex And The Single Vampire
    A Gay Guide To Cruising
    The Takers
    It clearly stood out to me when I heard it, I was like "damn I have heard this music elsewhere"

add me to the list of people who thought "gone with the pope" sucked. the beginning in vegas was okay, felt a little bit like MMS light, but the whole thing on the boat just bored me to tears! only thing that made me smile was that weird montage with duke giving popcorn to the gold fishes and the pony eating pink cotton-candy.

From the Grindhouse FB page:

"In memory of our good friend Jim LoBianco, who played Luke in GONE WITH THE POPE. Rest in peace St. Luke."

Name:  28619336_1612097538865865_2215213982461270347_o.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  29.1 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!