Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A New Silver Surfer Series...

A New Silver Surfer Series...

...I'm probably the only one who cares BUT:

WRITER: Greg PakPENCILS: Stephen Segovia
    COVER:
    Carlo Pagulayan

A new beginning for the Silver Surfer!

The sentinel of the spaceways walks the Earth once more, a stranger feared by many. Only the High Evolutionary understands his true potential, but the Evolutionary's mysterious grand design may cost the Surfer everything and change the cosmic balance forever!

He's traded blows with Thor and matched wits with Mephisto, but can the herald of Galactus survive the judgment of Norrin Rand, the man within the Silver Surfer?

It's a character-defining epic showing the Silver Surfer as you've never seen him before, brought to you by Planet Hulk writer Greg Pak and Dark Wolverine artist Stephen Segovia.

Rated T+

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Super cool Silver Surfer piece by Francesco Francavilla!

Name:  Du0dRpSUYAAhU53.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  35.2 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I'm bumping this because of Darcy's comments on Silver Surfer Parable in the 'what are you reading thread' because I don't want to derail that one but yeah, Darcy, that's one of my favorite comic stories ever. I have the original 2 issues from 1988 but regarding the collected edition, is there any cool bonus stuff that makes it worth getting? How is the coloring and detail in the pencil work? The original 2 are newsprint so I feel like the detail could be improved were it printed on better paper.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

The collected version, even in the original hardcover that came out when loose issue #2 did, has a couple of extra pages during the story, mostly more of the destruction and chaos, and the 305h Anniversary trade I got also has pieces by Stan Lee and Moebius about how the collaboration came together and what making the book was like, as well as reproductions of all of Moebius’ posters of the Marvel heroes that came out in the late 80s.
    The paper makes the colours pop like they did in the Epic Comics trades of Moebius’ work that came out back in the late 80s as well, with the white paper and the glossy finish really making the pastel colours pop.

Aside from Amazon damaging the book by jamming it into too small of a box, it’s awesome and worth picking up!

Great, thank you. That's the info I was after.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Great, thank you. That's the info I was after.
    I forgot to mention, the Moebius written piece has reports of his layout sketches for several pages as well, which makes for a really cool glimpse into his process.

A few years back Marvel released a thick floppy that collected the 2 issues and all the above extras. At the time it was the cheapest way to get it. The pinups and articles are fantastic. Great deal at the time for only 8 bucks. By far my favorite Silver Surfer story and I just love when Marvel goes a little highbrow which is all too rare, especially compared to DC who excels at it.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    A few years back Marvel released a thick floppy that collected the 2 issues and all the above extras. At the time it was the cheapest way to get it. The pinups and articles are fantastic. Great deal at the time for only 8 bucks. By far my favorite Silver Surfer story and I just love when Marvel goes a little highbrow which is all too rare, especially compared to DC who excels at it.
    I have the Marvel Masterworks hardback of the first 6 issues of the original Silver Surfer series, and Parable totally feels like a return to that series after a 20-year gap.

Just throwing out a recommendation for Silver Surfer: Requiem as well. Re-read that the other day and it's good stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Surfer

I also read 4 and 5 of Donny Cates' Silver Surfer Black without having read the first three and holy shit, this book is a trip. Tradd Moore's artwork is really out there but completely gorgeous in a wild, psychedelic way. I need to get the first three issues.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Thanks for the recommendations, Ian. I love the Surfer when he’s done well.