Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Severin Films Releasing Dust Devil On Blu-ray!

Severin Films Releasing Dust Devil On Blu-ray!

Fango has the scoop!

http://www.fangoria.com/new/exclusiv...severin-films/

"Fango caught up with Severin’s David Gregory over the weekend at Charlotte, NC’s Mad Monster Party convention, where he broke the news to us that the company will give Richard Stanley’s director’s cut of DUST DEVIL (pictured above) its Blu-ray debut this summer. In addition to the full version of the desert-set chiller, which was heavily trimmed for its initial U.S. video distribution, the hi-def disc will include the bulk of the extras from Subversive Cinema’s previous three-DVD release. “Most of the documentary features will be on there, as well as some new goodies,” Gregory tells us. “The one that Richard wants to take out of circulation for the time being is the Afghanistan footage, because he’s planning to make that into a full documentary. It’s kind of an incomplete piece on the Subversive disc, so we may be involved in that in some way, shape or form, because I’m doing a lot of stuff with Richard these days. He’s in LA at the moment, and he has his DUST DEVIL jacket with him, so we’re going to go to the desert next week and shoot a bunch of new extras for the Blu-ray.”

Also on tap is the disc release of Gregory’s documentary LOST SOUL: THE DOOMED JOURNEY OF RICHARD STANLEY’S “ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU,” which has been winning raves (including ours) from its festival play and current screening tour (and in which—full disclosure—this writer briefly appears). “I’ve just shot a bunch of new stuff with Richard for that,” Gregory says, “and there will also be outtakes, stuff on H.G. Wells in cinema and more. We’ll also be including, on the limited edition, a 1921 version of ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU called ISLE OF THE LOST, which has never been out anywhere in the world before. Nobody even knew it existed until I was doing this documentary. I asked Kim Newman and Tim Lucas and Joe Dante and various people, ‘Have you ever heard of a German version of THE ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU?’ and nobody had. So that will be on there; it’s not great, to be honest—it’s no ISLAND OF LOST SOULS—but it’s definitely an interesting curio.”"
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

EXCELLENT NEWS!
    It's all in the reflexes.

Great news. But that bit about no one knowing about the German version of THE ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU isn't true. Criterion tried to get it for their ISLAND OF LOST SOULS release, but couldn't clear it. Here is what Tom Weaver (who got Criterion to look into adding the film) said about the situation
    Well, shucks. My idea for an added bit of bonus material on the Criterion didn't work out. I got after them to include as an extra DIE INSEL DER VERSCHOLLENEN, a German silent from the early 1920s; it was shown at a Berlin film festival in 2000, on a triple-bill with ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU and TERROR IS A MAN, and the plot was described as:

"On a South Sea Island, a mysterious doctor's experiments include creating monsters by combining human and animal body parts."

I don't think the movie credits H.G. Wells' novel so I guess it is to Wells' DR. MOREAU what NOSFERATU was to Stoker's DRACULA. Criterion actually delved into it and contacted the German archives, etc., but -- the movie's not owned by anybody, so the only way the German government can allow the print to be released to a home-video company is IF the home-video company gets the permission of the descendants of every single person in the movie.

What a weird situation. Hopefully the Severin release doesn't run into any legal snags there. Even if it isn't great as David says, I would still like to see that.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

All I care about is that Dust Devil is finally going to be available again and I won't have to pay upwards of $60 on eBay to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    What a weird situation. Hopefully the Severin release doesn't run into any legal snags there. Even if it isn't great as David says, I would still like to see that.
    It is a weird law that, unless one can find another copy of the film, basically kills any chance of a release of any German film that is an orphan work. And, yeah, hopefully Severin has it cleared or has found another source for the film.

When asked about this on FB recently....

"Miramax Films were not happy with our announcement and claim that our licensor does not have the US rights. At the moment it's on hold."
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Miramax is a bunch of cocksuckers. Them Weinsteins and how they treated so many great films make me feel that Hitler was right about the Jews.

But then I think of Golan-Globus and realize that no, Jews are fantastic and I love them very very much

And on topic: Dust Devil is a fantastic film, especially visually.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    When asked about this on FB recently....

"Miramax Films were not happy with our announcement and claim that our licensor does not have the US rights. At the moment it's on hold."
    Oh for fucks sake

If Miramax truly gave a shit about the film then instead of having their periods about this why don't they put out Stanley's directors cut themselves? Probably because they don't give a shit and this is just a typical big studio dick stroking move.
    Vortice Mortale - The Lost Highway of Horror and Cult Film

Latest post: Cold Heaven (Nicolas Roeg, 1991)