Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koji Wakamatsu worship!

Koji Wakamatsu worship!

I really love this guy. He made some of the most beautiful films I've ever seen, the perfect middle ground between art and exploitation.
    What are you favourites?

Some of mine:
    - Violent Virgin
    - Violated Angels
    - Go Go Second Time Virgin
    - Violence Without A Cause

Embarrased to admit but I haven't seen too many of his films. But I do love United Red Army (2007) and Shinjuku Mad (1970), amazing films both.

The other films I've seen are are Caterpillar (2010), Perfect Education 6 (2004), Ready To Shoot (1990), Red Army/PFLP: Declaration of World War (1971), Violence Without a Cause (1969), Dark Story of a Sex Crime: Phantom Killer (1969), Go, Go, Second Time Virgin (1969), Akamoru: The Dark, Wild Yearning (1967), Violated Angels (1967) and The Embryo Hunts in Secret (1966).

I'd love to see A Pool Without Water (Yuya Uchida!!!) and Erotic Liaisons (Yuchida again. I've seen the original by Yasuharu Hasebe and it's quite good).

The Goddard of Pink films. He made a lot of great stuff.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Favorites:

Go Go Second Time Virgin
    Violated Angels
    The Man Who Assaulted 13 People
    United Red Army
    Red Army '71
    Ecstasy of the Angels
    Sex Bullet
    Dark Story of a Japanese Rapist
    Caterpillar
    Running in Madness, Dying in Love

I've always found his films fascinating because they're so dominated by his intractable anger and potent politics.

Some of them are thematically richer than their execution, but they're absolutely original.

So many are impossible to see. He was very prolific.

So sad that he was struck by a car and died not long ago.

[The three box sets from blaqout provide good access to at least twelve of his film]; others are released individually here and there.
    Last edited by AngelGuts; 09-16-2015 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    The Goddard of Pink films. He made a lot of great stuff.
    He sure was.

I reup this thread to ask if anyone ordered directly from the Blaqout website (french label) his films on dvd...

I watched "Go Go Second Time Virgin", "Ecstasy of the Angels" and "Shinjuku Mad" and I am craving for more...

I noticed he even did some films for TOEI in early 70's...
    Last edited by tetrapak; 11-26-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrapak View Post
    I reup this thread to ask if anyone ordered directly from the Blaqout website (french label) his films on dvd...

I watched "Go Go Second Time Virgin", "Ecstasy of the Angels" and "Shinjuku Mad" and I am craving for more...

I noticed he even did some films for TOEI in early 70's...
    I bought those Wakamatsu box sets from Amazon.fr a few years ago and was going to suggest you do the same -- until I checked what they are going for now?! I'm glad I bought them when they were reasonably priced. I'd go ahead & order directly from Blaqout & take your chances since you're covered by your credit card purchase protection plan anyway.

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    How in the world could none of this auteur's films be on bluray yet? Must be rights troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by 47lab View Post
    I bought those Wakamatsu box sets from Amazon.fr a few years ago and was going to suggest you do the same -- until I checked what they are going for now?! I'm glad I bought them when they were reasonably priced. I'd go ahead & order directly from Blaqout & take your chances since you're covered by your credit card purchase protection plan anyway.
    Amazon was my first choice too, but I noticed now the boxsets are sold by external sellers now and I don't feel like buying from them... I just sent an email to blaqout inquiring about their current availibility... let's see what happens...

Quote Originally Posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
    How in the world could none of this auteur's films be on bluray yet? Must be rights troubles.
    I wondered the same myself....

I have all the Wakamatsu sets: the first one has no English subs, but the other two are English-subbed.

A big personal favourite is the recently released (on DVD) DARK STORY OF A JAPANESE RAPIST VOL 2

Also:

CATERPILLAR
    GO GO SECOND TIME VERSION
    THE MAN WHO ASSAULTED 13 PEOPLE
    UNITED RED ARMY
    ECSTASY OF THE ANGELS
    SEX JACK
    VIOLATED VIRGIN