Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sturgill Simpson - Sound & Fury (2019)

Sturgill Simpson - Sound & Fury (2019)

Sturgill Simpson is a country singer-songwriter who in 2019 made a psychedelic funk hard rock album then flew to Japan and had an anime film made to go along with it. Similar to Daft Punk's DISCOVERY album and the INTERSERLLA 5555 anime musical.

SOUND & FURY is on Netflix and is a little over 40 minutes long and worth checking out. Five different studios put the film together and Sturgill gave them free reign to be creative and the later songs are pretty experimental. The whole thing knocked me on my ass.

"When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Unrelated to Sound & Fury but the new Sturgill Simpsons single, Paradise, is really good.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

The stuff from Sound and Fury looks a lo like Redline, did Gonzo do the animation? Is this available on blu?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Unrelated to Sound & Fury but the new Sturgill Simpsons single, Paradise, is really good.
    That's a cover of a John Prine song taken from a John Prine tribute album. Sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Parker View Post
    The stuff from Sound and Fury looks a lo like Redline, did Gonzo do the animation? Is this available on blu?
    It's on Netflix.

The overall film is directed by Jumpei Mizusaki but a different studio and director handle each song. Some of it goes into live action and other multimedia styles. It's still my favorite thing from the past few years.

"Led by writer, director and Kamikaze Douga animation studio founder Jumpei Mizusaki and character designer and Afro Samurai creator Takashi Okazaki -- who worked together on 2018's Batman Ninja -- the team of directors Koji Morimoto, Michael Arias, Masaru Matsumoto, Henry Thurlow and Arthell Isom; co-executive producer Shunsuke Ochiai; and production assistant Hiroaki Takeuchi created the Sound & Fury film."

I watch this video at least once a day.

Also I think this is the best performance on Saturday Night Live I've ever seen. Sturgill and the band give it their all.

Yeah that SNL clip is killer.

Didn't realize Paradise was a John Prine cover. Now I need to check out the original.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    That's a cover of a John Prine song taken from a John Prine tribute album. Sounds great!

It's on Netflix.

The overall film is directed by Jumpei Mizusaki but a different studio and director handle each song. Some of it goes into live action and other multimedia styles. It's still my favorite thing from the past few years.

"Led by writer, director and Kamikaze Douga animation studio founder Jumpei Mizusaki and character designer and Afro Samurai creator Takashi Okazaki -- who worked together on 2018's Batman Ninja -- the team of directors Koji Morimoto, Michael Arias, Masaru Matsumoto, Henry Thurlow and Arthell Isom; co-executive producer Shunsuke Ochiai; and production assistant Hiroaki Takeuchi created the Sound & Fury film."
    I don't have a Netflix sub, and refuse to sub again after they cancel everything the way they do. I came across the studio info for the animation before I saw this, but thanks for digging it up!

I guess I will just have to pirate the full-length version.

I'm pretty sure most of it is on youtube if you search for each song. Its only 40 minutes total.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I'm pretty sure most of it is on youtube if you search for each song. Its only 40 minutes total.

Yeah, but I want to see it uninterrupted. I can't imagine watching Interstella 5555 with breaks and ads, and I wouldn't think Sound and Fury would be good that way either.

Sturgill does a good Tiny Desk Concert too.