Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Neo-Noir Thread - 1980s/1990s Neo-Noir Pictures

miami blues is one of my favs too! hilarious performance by baldwin. for a while I thought this is not actually alec baldwin but one of his brothers we didn't heard of yet.

anybody familar with sister, sister (1987)? any good?

I haven't seen SISTER, SISTER but I recently bought the DVD.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Name:  neo.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  16.8 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Name:  neo.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  16.8 KB
    Great news! I've been hoping for quite a while that TCM would utilize Muller more. He's always interesting and well informed when discussing film (and not just classic noir).
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Quote Originally Posted by killer must kill again View Post
    miami blues is one of my favs too! hilarious performance by baldwin. for a while I thought this is not actually alec baldwin but one of his brothers we didn't heard of yet.

anybody familar with sister, sister (1987)? any good?
    I've not seen SISTER, SISTER but will track it down asap.

Last night I revisited Hal Ashby's EIGHT MILLION WAYS TO DIE. There's so much I like in this film (eg, Andy Garcia's monologue about Gaudi) but it doesn't hold together. I love the novel on which it's based, so the disappointment in this film hits hard every time I revisit it - but I keep on returning to it, hoping that it will 'click'. A film of moments that don't congeal.

Tonight, I rewatched Robinson Devor's THE WOMAN CHASER from 1999, an adaptation of one of my fave Charles Willeford novels. It's as playful and mischevious as I recalled it to be. Patrick Warburton is delightful. Such a good little picture.

At the weekend, I watched the new Synapse Blu-ray release of Josh Becker's RUNNING TIME. A great film, imo, and I've no doubt this will be one of my favourite home video releases of the year.

'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Off topic for this great thread, but à propos MIAMI BLUES, the 2019 adaptation of Charles Willeford's THE BURNT ORANGE HERESY is pretty spectacular. It's everything I never realized I wanted in a Willeford/Highsmith slash fiction.

Please return now to the last days of the twentieth century, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    At the weekend, I watched the new Synapse Blu-ray release of Josh Becker's RUNNING TIME. A great film, imo, and I've no doubt this will be one of my favourite home video releases of the year.

I only heard of Running Time last year when they announced the Blu-Ray. Was it ever released on vhs here in the U.K? I can't remember it getting much exposure in the late '90's. Anyway, it looks like something I'd get a kick out of. Is it worth me dropping £20 to import the disc? Campbell's commentaries are always invariably worth the price anyway!

Double Post
    Last edited by Paul L; 04-14-2021 at 06:23 AM.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Quote Originally Posted by Barry M View Post
    Off topic for this great thread, but à propos MIAMI BLUES, the 2019 adaptation of Charles Willeford's THE BURNT ORANGE HERESY is pretty spectacular. It's everything I never realized I wanted in a Willeford/Highsmith slash fiction.

Please return now to the last days of the twentieth century, though.
    I just rented this last night and hope to watch it at the weekend. Love the novel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Deltoid View Post
    I only heard of Running Time last year when they announced the Blu-Ray. Was it ever released on vhs here in the U.K? I can't remember it getting much exposure in the late '90's. Anyway, it looks like something I'd get a kick out of. Is it worth me dropping £20 to import the disc? Campbell's commentaries are always invariably worth the price anyway!
    I don't think it ever got any kind of release over here until it was included as an extra in the Book of the Dead DVD release of THE EVIL DEAD. I love it and think it's a great little film. The Synapse release is superb. This will easily be one of my favourite releases of the year, and is definitely worth £20 (imo).

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    I just rented this last night and hope to watch it at the weekend. Love the novel.

I don't think it ever got any kind of release over here until it was included as an extra in the Book of the Dead DVD release of THE EVIL DEAD. I love it and think it's a great little film. The Synapse release is superb. This will easily be one of my favourite releases of the year, and is definitely worth £20 (imo).
    Ahh, go on then, you've twisted my arm! Just have to wait 'til payday now!