Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: General Comicbook Talk, Reviews, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I've been reading and collecting all the Modesty Blaise comics strips
    I've just started working my way though the Titan collections. Fantastic stuff, kicking myself for sleeping on these for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaghetti Monkey View Post
    I've just started working my way though the Titan collections. Fantastic stuff, kicking myself for sleeping on these for so long.
    I began slowly picking them up starting maybe ten years ago? A lot of them were OOP and pretty pricey so I figured I'd never get them all. Then around the beginning of the pandemic I was able to score a handful of the scarcest volumes and a had a little over half to go. So I actively started trying to get the rest. I probably got half for under cover price, some as cheap 3-6 dollars! But towards the end it got really tough. I paid 70-80 dollars for a couple volumes and 50-60 for several more. DC also released a graphic novel based on the script for the film (minus all the jokey crap), and there was a graphic novel length strip that was only released in the reprint magazine COMICS REVUE, that was probably the hardest one to track down. Then I moved onto the prose novels.

I mostly shun completeness for completeness sake but I found over time, before I went in whole hog, that I enjoyed these comics more than any others in my collection. I found myself returning to and rereading them the most.

In one of the introductions to the Titan volumes a story is told by former DC editor Mike Gold:

In 1977 Mike Gold hosted the Writers Panel at the Chicago Comic Con. At the end they opened it up to questions and the first question was "Who is your favorite writer?" One by one each writer said "Roy Thomas" until they got to the end where Chris Claremont was sitting. He quietly spoke into the the microphone, "Peter O'Donnell." Each writer then revised their answer while apologizing to Roy. The audience looked on bewildered. They had no idea who Peter O'Donnell is.

Peter O'Donnell, the creator and writer of Modesty Blaise has since become my favorite writer. I wish I stumbled upon him earlier.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Speaking of Jeff Lemire, from the earlier SWEET TOOTH thread, I was rummaging through my books this weekend and was reminded of his GREEN ARROW run, which is awful! I'm not sure if I've ever read a more poorly written and plotted book. The art by Andrea Sorrentino is amazing but not worth the price of admission, IMO. I had read Andy Diggle and Jock's GREEN ARROW: YEAR ONE right before it and figured they would have a similar feel. Boy was I wrong! YEAR ONE is great! I love Grell's Arrow and this seemed like a good enough fit. Maybe it was because Lemire's run was part of the Nu52 and they dumbed everything down but I don't think I've ever been so disappointed in a book. I even bought all the trades at once in excited anticipation, something I rarely do and for good reason. I'd love to pick Lemire's brain about it.

Got in the tpb of Skrull Kill Krew vol 1 today,and it cost me less than a single issue of this what 4 issue mini cost me back in the day.

Tempted to make a 10 tpbs/hardcovers I bought in 2021 and never read vid.

EDIT make that 12 and counting TPBS/Hardcovers/OGNS I bought in 2021 and never read.

Name:  leftsidetpbsboughtneverread2021.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  338.4 KBName:  rightside11tpbsboughtnotreadin2021.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  302.7 KB
    Most were either cheap used on Amazon/Ebay or found at Dirt Cheap for a buck or two.
    Last edited by Newt Cox; 05-11-2021 at 02:48 AM.

Newt, THE ONE by Rick Veitch is pretty damn good, I need to pick up a copy of it some day. When I first started collecting I remember picking up a few issues and was blown away and confused by it. It changed the way I thought about comics at the time when I all I wanted was X-Men.

THE SHADOW OF A MAN
    THE OBSCURE CITIES

Writer: Benoit Peeters, Artist: Francois Schuiten

A newlywed man is having terrible nightmares. He sees a doctor who gives him an experimental drug. The nightmares go away but now his shadow is in color! It drives him mad. He loses his wife, his job and his home. Down on his luck a women gives him hope that he can turn his colorful shadow into something good.

IDW's next Obscure Cities translation arrives into my eager grubby hands with high expectations and meets them all. A reto-futistic noir tale of the everyman, this one feel a bit subtler and softer than the previous works. Schuiten having produced the color first then the linework gives it a kind of an ethereal dreamy quality compared the other Obscure Cities stories. At least the handful I've read. The architecture still remains jaw dropping and awe inspiring. IDW's reproduction on all these books is flawless. I only wish they were hardcovers. And I'm not a hardcover snob, I usually don't care. But the Obscure Cities books and the Corto Maltese books deserve it.

There's an afterward with a handful of pages reproduced from an earlier edition included here. Apparently the creators weren't happy with certain aspects of the story and felt like they could do it better, this was about ten years later. This was my first time reading the story and I thought it was just wonderful. I didn't notice any seams or difference of quality. I was totally engrossed the whole time.

There are two more Obscure Cities books as fish on Amazon. I think the next one is scheduled for later in the year. I'll keep my fingers crossed. With Corto Maltese wrapped up these are my most wanted books. The reproduction is sharp and the stories are beautiful and amazing. As far as the IDW released book in this series go I'd rate this one as my least favorite but that's really splitting hairs, on the whole they are some of the best comics I've ever read. I absolutely can't wait for the next volume!

Newt, THE ONE by Rick Veitch is pretty damn good, I need to pick up a copy of it some day. When I first started collecting I remember picking up a few issues and was blown away and confused by it. It changed the way I thought about comics at the time when I all I wanted was X-Men.
    I grabbed a few of the IDW reprints a couple of months back as well as an almost complete fun of Rare Bit Fiends for $0.50 a piece. Rick Veitch is awesome.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Speaking of Jeff Lemire, from the earlier SWEET TOOTH thread, I was rummaging through my books this weekend and was reminded of his GREEN ARROW run, which is awful! I'm not sure if I've ever read a more poorly written and plotted book. The art by Andrea Sorrentino is amazing but not worth the price of admission, IMO. I had read Andy Diggle and Jock's GREEN ARROW: YEAR ONE right before it and figured they would have a similar feel. Boy was I wrong! YEAR ONE is great! I love Grell's Arrow and this seemed like a good enough fit. Maybe it was because Lemire's run was part of the Nu52 and they dumbed everything down but I don't think I've ever been so disappointed in a book. I even bought all the trades at once in excited anticipation, something I rarely do and for good reason. I'd love to pick Lemire's brain about it.
    The only Green Arrow stuff I read on a regular basis was Grell's Run. I think Long Bow Hunters is every bit as good as Dark Knight Returns and the regular series that came after it was also excellent. I was a bit young for it at the time and as it was a 'mature readers book' my mom had a sign a permission slip that my LCS kept on file allowing me to buy it. She would read it too and she was also a pretty big fan of it.

I think after that was Kevin Smith's run. I remember a few of them had nice covers and the story was so-so.

So Diggle and Jock's Year One is worth getting? I haven't paid much attention at all to any post-2000 Green Arrow books.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I was sure I had it in issue form years ago,didn't Epic put it out at one time? But remember nothing about it and Veitch so far hasn't wrote a bad comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    The only Green Arrow stuff I read on a regular basis was Grell's Run. I think Long Bow Hunters is every bit as good as Dark Knight Returns and the regular series that came after it was also excellent. I was a bit young for it at the time and as it was a 'mature readers book' my mom had a sign a permission slip that my LCS kept on file allowing me to buy it. She would read it too and she was also a pretty big fan of it.

I think after that was Kevin Smith's run. I remember a few of them had nice covers and the story was so-so.

So Diggle and Jock's Year One is worth getting? I haven't paid much attention at all to any post-2000 Green Arrow books.
    LONGBOW HUNTERS is one of my favorite stories and I agree its every bit as good as DKR. I have the first 3 or 4 trades of the ongoing, I wish I got more they're oop and pricey now although I think they released an omnibus too.

I'd recommend Year One. It's no Longbow Hunters or DKR but it's solid with incredible art.