Thread: Fractured Visions Releasing Sergio Martino's Silent Action

Fractured Visions Releasing Sergio Martino's Silent Action

https://www.fracvis.co.uk/

Name:  Silent-Action-bluray.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  75.3 KB

"When high-ranking military officials turn up dead, all from apparent suicides or suspicious accidents, it’s down to Inspector Giorgio Solmi (Luc Merenda, The Violent Professionals) to find out what’s happened to them. Aided by Captain Mario Sperli (Tomas Milian, Almost Human), the two men soon find themselves in the midst of a deadly political scandal that threatens to bring Rome to its knees."

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Awesome news! This one is a top notch, bleak conspiracy thriller. Terrific Luciano Michelini score too.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

pretty mediocre poliziesco with an unusually reserved performance by tomas milian. I wonder how they'll handle the frame cuts in the credit sequence, IIRC they are lost forever because the italian negative was damaged.

nevertheless every (new?) label should be supported, if they're trying to release euro crime on blu-ray!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    Awesome news! This one is a top notch, bleak conspiracy thriller. Terrific Luciano Michelini score too.
    This one popped up on my Amazon recommendations the other day, and having not heard of the movie or the label releasing it, I was kind of suspicious, but that sounds like a pretty solid recommendation. I like the idea of a UK-based company releasing little known Euro-crime films (albeit at a fairly high price point), so I think I will reward them with a pre-order and see how it goes!

Mondo Digital review:

http://www.mondo-digital.com/silentaction.html

Some pretty cool supplements on this.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Some people are kicking off because it's 25fps, but growing up in PAL land, I never notice the speed up.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

So, last Saturday I watched this one accompanied by a couple of glasses of rioja - a highlight of the past few weeks, without a doubt. Really enjoyed it - definitely Martino's best film in the crime genre for my money (although I've not seen 'Gambling City', so can't speak for that one).

Kind of feels like a 50/50 cross-breed between a pulpy 'tough cop' movie and the kind of more tonally serious thrillers that directors like Sollima and Damiani were making at around the same time, and Martino pulls off this balancing act really well - it's fast-moving, action-packed and full of fun Euro-Crime cliches, but without ever getting too cartoon-ish or implausible, complete with a few possible nods to the Parallax View/Conversation-type thrillers coming out of Hollywood in the early '70s, and a totally unexpected outburst of full on 'exploding hut' war movie craziness in the final act.

Interesting too as an example of a poliziotteschi which comes down firmly on the left wing side of the political spectrum, with Merenda's rule-breaking cop fighting against corporate/governmental collusion, the spectre of resurgent fascism etc.

So, yeah - definitely gets the thumbs up from me anyway, if anyone's on the fence about picking up the Fractured Visions release.

Quote Originally Posted by BW Haggar View Post
    So, last Saturday I watched this one accompanied by a couple of glasses of rioja - a highlight of the past few weeks, without a doubt. Really enjoyed it - definitely Martino's best film in the crime genre for my money (although I've not seen 'Gambling City', so can't speak for that one).
    Nothing to add, other than check out GAMBLING CITY if you get the chance. It's pretty, pretty, pretty good.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

I operate an "always watch Italian crime films when the opportunity arises" policy, so I surely will. Thanks for the recommendation though - looking forward to it.