Thread: Larry Fessenden's Beneath

Larry Fessenden's Beneath

Coming from Shout! Factory 3/25/14.

"When a group of young friends commemorating their high school graduation take a trip to the remote Black Lake, their celebration turns into a nightmare with the sudden appearance of a bloodthirsty, underwater predator. Stuck in a leaking boat with no oars, the teens face the ultimate tests of friendship and sacrifice during a terror-stricken fight for survival. Beneath is written by Tony Daniel and Brian D. Smith, and directed by horror icon Larry Fessenden (The Last Winter, Habit). Produced by Fessenden and Peter Phok for Glass Eye Pix (Stake Land, The Innkeepers, I Sell The Dead)."

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Looks pretty derivative.....and probably FULL of plot holes (like, they dont actually look THAT FAR from the land and, why dont they tie a shirt around the broken oar etc etc)

But might give it a watch if it turns up for free somewhere....

Watched this last night and enjoyed it quite a bit more than I thought I would. It is derivitive in spots and reminds you a bit of Jaws and then later a bit of The Raft from Creepshow 2 but it goes in its own direction. There are a few twists, some predictable others not so much, and some impressive effects. Not a lot of CGI here, most of the fish effects works looks like it's down with a big rubber puppet thing. I need to check out the extras to see if they go into more detail there. None of the characters are really likeable and some could have used a bit more development but as the movie plays out, it raises some interesting questions as to the morality of the situation that these guys find themselves in that helps to raise some tension. This isn't a masterpiece by any stretch but I liked it and could see myself watching it again.

Oh and Mark Margolis is rad.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    None of the characters are really likeable...
    This is my main beef with this film. Not only are they not likeable, they're downright annoying and/or assholes. And the fish looks goofy as hell imo. They show it too much. Not a total loss, like you say it poses some interesting questions, and there is some tension. Could have used more gore I think.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

I liked the lifeboat ethics structure, even though the satire kind of guaranteed that it was going to be a ship of fools, or assholes, anyway. It's cool to have an ecological moralist making horror movies. Fessenden's environmental concerns and a tendency to be too smart for his own movies' good make for interesting films.