Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the current obsession with Indie Horror/Limited Edition releases about?

What is the current obsession with Indie Horror/Limited Edition releases about?

So, I'm currently intrigued (in a WTF way) and bewildered by the current obsession amongst some collectors and horror fans with indie horror, stuff that's released from small labels, and limited editions of these movies from these labels.

Am I missing something? I'll shell out for classic movies and limited editions of good stuff, but the stuff I've seen people rave about doesn't look all that great. Now, understand, I'm sure there's good stuff out there, and there's stuff I'm sure I would dig, but a lot of it looks like amateur hour garbage. Kudos to those making the movies, but I just don't get the horror community's obsession with this stuff right now. A limited edition of a crappy indie movie still means you're getting a crappy indie movie at the end of the day.

In the interest of fairness, and so that I may understand this odd trend, is there anything that's a must-see right now? I trust the opinions of folks here LIGHT YEARS ahead of those of the indie fanboys.

Could you name some examples or post some trailers of some of the type of films you're talking about? I wasn't even aware of the obsession as you refer to it. Shows you how little I pay attention to newer stuff.
    Vortice Mortale - Latest post: Body of Influence (Gregory Dark, 1993)

I wasn't aware of the obsession either but as someone about to put out DVDs for 2 crappy indie movies I'm all ears. Where do these people hang out?
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    Where do these people hang out?

I see alot of this on facebook nowadays, you have to be subscribed to certain groups to really see them. I kinda understand their obsession but as Zane says most of these films are really bad. The thing that I find weird is people buying films on VHS though labels who release it still to this day. I grew up with VHS and don't find any nostalgia around such an inferior viewing experience. Part of me suspects these people are just young fans. Maybe they remember it as something in their lives when they were 4-5 years old, and it holds some kind of emotional link to their childhoods.

I do think we are seeing the future though with small labels releasing smaller print runs and collectors really jumping on board with it. Promo done strictly though social media. etc.. Hopefully people are making money of this new method and spending it on releasing more product.

I wasn't aware of the obsession either but as someone about to put out DVDs for 2 crappy indie movies I'm all ears. Where do these people hang out?
    Well, no offence, Dom! Apologies about offending you if I did! I think what I am referring to is more of the FB crowd.

As I said (and Mark alluded to), it's a lot of the stuff I see on FB, and there's usually some VHS tied in with the package, or some LE DVD with it some gimmick. I belong to a couple of VHS and DVD groups, and the level of shilling there is crazy. I get that people have product, want to sell it, and are proud of it. Sure. I would be too if I made a movie, and it's not like I'm going out to make my own movie any time soon.... but I'm speaking as a consumer here.

Stuff that pops to mind that I see ALL THE TIME? A couple of flicks called CROSS BEARER and GUTTERBALLS, off the top of my head. There's more, obviously.

You'll also notice I said it's NOT ALL of them that are doing this. There's a lot of hipsterism going on right now, it seems, and the whole culture around that is puzzling to me.

Also, like Mark said, the whole VHS thing is interesting. I'm getting rid of all my VHS (and those are the groups that I usually sell tapes to). For me, it's more about the movie itself, though the artwork is cool on some tapes. The whole nostalgia thing is driving this right now, for sure. I understand it as a movie fan, but when there are DVDs, BD, and streaming, what's the point? I still transfer my stuff to DVD-R and am happy with that as well, but I don't get the VHS love, unless it's the only way to see a flick.

Quote Originally Posted by Zane C. View Post
    Well, no offence, Dom! Apologies about offending you if I did! I think what I am referring to is more of the FB crowd.
    No offence taken at all! I find the collectors instincts on these things wierd as well. I have lengthy thoughts on the matter but I did once get far more involved than intended on a thread here about some old VHS boxes (boxes not tapes) tjat were selling for a forutne and my opinions were not popular so I'll keep them too myself in future.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Quote Originally Posted by Zane C. View Post
    Stuff that pops to mind that I see ALL THE TIME? A couple of flicks called CROSS BEARER and GUTTERBALLS, off the top of my head. There's more, obviously.
    Haha...GUTTERBALLS is pretty rad / gory as a throwback to the 80's slasher movie...Not GREAT...but far better than shit like CROSSBEARER....

No offence taken at all! I find the collectors instincts on these things wierd as well. I have lengthy thoughts on the matter but I did once get far more involved than intended on a thread here about some old VHS boxes (boxes not tapes) tjat were selling for a forutne and my opinions were not popular so I'll keep them too myself in future.
    Haha! No worries!

I just find the whole hipster VHS thing puzzling is all. I understand that a sort of culture is trying to be built around it, but I don't understand the fact that it seems to be more about the limited edition printings and packaging, etc, than the actual movie itself. I like LE as much as the next person, but I find the market seems to be saturated with stuff that is trying way too hard. Most cult films seem to accidentally or unintentionally have a following or some aspect of the film that is "cultish". These newer films seem to be trying to create that, which is really obvious. They just seem like two different things, you know?

I truly am interested in seeing if there are any "must-see" films of this variety, but I don't want to waste money on something that's not good. "Good" is subjective, I know, but it would help to know or have a consensus about what's decent or not.

Quote Originally Posted by sukebanboy View Post
    Haha...GUTTERBALLS is pretty rad / gory as a throwback to the 80's slasher movie...Not GREAT...but far better than shit like CROSSBEARER....
    See, this why I ask. I see so much of this stuff on FB groups that it's hard to pick the good from the bad.

I think this has become more about collecting in itself then the actual films.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"